March 31-April 1, 2013
After attending a beautiful 8:30 a.m. Easter service in St. Augustine, we revved up the engines and headed north towards Fernandina Beach, just below the Georgia border. It was a fun day reliving memories as we cruised past our old haunts from Craig’s Navy days 40 years ago: Jacksonville Beach, Neptune Beach (where we lived), Atlantic Beach and Mayport, where the Navy base is located.
- The pretty north Florida marshes, more sightings of white pelicans and a huge eagles’ nest with family
- Views of NS Mayport across the ICW
- Double-docktails in Fernandina Beach, first with Mark and Allyn from Second Wind, then a surprise visit from Gold Looper friends we hadn’t seen since Canada, David and Barbara from Making Memories.
- A delicious steak dinner on board for Easter
- A long walk around the really attractive town of Fernandina Beach in the morning before we left. Must stay longer next time!
Next: Four days on another of our long-ago favorites, Jekyll Island, Georgia
(Real-time update: on April 22 we are still in Southport, NC. Winds a bit less than yesterday, but should be even better tomorrow)