Thursday, April 18, 2013

Key West, FL

February 25 – March 4, 2013

Dear family, friends and faithful followers of our blog,

Today – in real time – is April 18 and we are at the Osprey Marina, a really cozy spot in the woods on the Intracoastal Waterway just south of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. If all goes according to plan, two weeks from tomorrow, May 3, we will cross our wake as we pull into Norfolk, arriving back where we started and thus completing our Great Loop. It is hard to believe, but true – our great adventure is drawing to a close.

I have not given up on the blog, but as the number of travel days grows short, I have given up on being able to bring the blog up to date before Norfolk. But for my own sake as well as yours, I think it would be much more satisfying if the days leading up to the finish line were reported as they happen. So what I have decided to do is, over the next few days, post a series of short “placeholder” blog entries that I will go back and flesh out later, after we’ve completed the Loop. Then for the final week or so, I will be able to post the story of our closing days in “real-time.”

So as much as I would love to take the time right now to relate the full story of the wonderful time we had in Key West, I am going to start my mini-blogs here.  And I promise that a few weeks down the road I will go back and fill in with more content and more pictures!

Here goes!  Key West memories…

  • Great walking and bike rides
  • Fantastic people watching
  • Truman Little White House and Hemingway’s house
  • Lots of good food and good music
  • Key Lime pie – especially on a stick, chocolate covered
  • Day trip to the Dry Tortugas for wonderful birding and snorkeling
  • The southernmost point in the continental US and the southernmost point on our Loop
  • Roosters, chickens and descendants of Hemingway's six-toed cats everywhere!

IMG_1066 IMG_1142

IMG_1118

IMG_1232  IMG_1069

Next: Marathon and Hawk’s Cay (Florida Keys)

No comments:

Post a Comment