April 7-12, 2013
After a longer than expected trip from the Landings outside Savannah, we finally arrived in Shelter Cove Marina in Hilton Head, where we have for so many years thought for we would love to have a boat. And now here we were! We had a great time here for 4 days, although it did feel a little odd to not be directly on the beach. The best part was spending time with so many friends: Randy, Mark, Dan and Becky from Glendale; Cindy, Richard and Everett from Atlanta; and Looper friends Joe and Edie from Charleston (they had cruised down on their boat Seaquel).
Randy cruised with us for five days from Hilton Head to Beaufort and on to Charleston. It was fun to have a guest on board again!
Beaufort is a pretty town just beyond Hilton Head that we have visited before, but never by boat. We enjoyed a few of the many good restaurants and walked around the town admiring the stately old homes, including the house used in the movie “The Big Chill.” We also weathered a noisy thunderstorm one night, but it was far from the worst we’ve encountered.
Hilton Head highlights:
- Finally having our own boat docked in Shelter Cove Marina!
- Taking Everett to the beach (he didn’t like the sand)
- Fun times with Glendale friends
- Welcoming Randy on board Blue Heron for several days
- Craig and Randy hanging out in the engine room
- Realizing after all the places we’ve been, we still love the Hilton Head beach!
- Charming town, beautiful old homes
- Gorgeous Spanish moss
- Enjoying more good times on Blue Heron with Randy (who became the dogs’ best friend – many long walks!